Perhaps our biggest project this year is Master Academic Planning, a major endeavor aimed at identifying the programs and services Marylhurst needs to offer in order to better serve our students today and the students we need to be serving over the next ten years (and beyond!) On the Academic Strategies Council (made up of faculty, students and staff), we have been working at being students of higher education across the country and students of Marylhurst in particular. We’re examining many trends in education and looking at the needs of Millennials.
Part One of this important work was asking faculty, staff and students to first identify key questions and then write succinct, well-researched white papers to try to answer those questions.
Our white papers have come in and we’re excited to share our ideas with the campus community in the coming weeks. We have received 23 separate white papers so far. Some of the topics include:
- Becoming a premier degree completion university
- Becoming a Hispanic-serving institution by 2025
- Creating a comprehensive creative therapies program
- Starting a bachelor’s in social work and a master’s in social work program
- Serving veterans students better
- Creating comprehensive and shorter pathways from undergraduate to graduate programs
- Starting an MA in Liberal Studies
- Starting a low-residency MFA in Creative Writing
We’ll be hosting an open community round table on February 5. Look for more details coming soon!