Marylhurst student and choir camper Lizzie shares her thoughts as camp ends. 

Despite a nearly worn out voice, and a lack of sleep due to songs playing on repeat in my head, this week at Marylhurst University Choir Camp has been an absolutely amazing experience. I’m a student, as well as an employee, at Marylhurst University and I am constantly amazed at the experiences created by the faculty and staff at Marylhurst. And thanks to Dr. Justin Smith, Dr. Betsy Webber, Steve Peter, and the rest of the amazing people who had hands in this camp, I can add this last week to my amazing Marylhurst experiences.

To be honest I was worried about this week; that my lack of musical know how, my rusty vocal chords, and my consuming stage fright would cause problems and make this week scary as heck and I’m so happy I was worried about nothing. I learned so much during this week, not only about my voice, but about reading music as well. And I also learned that I have more courage than I thought.

But it wasn’t just me that I learned about this week. Watching others in the vocal and opera technique workshops were amazing experiences; being able to hear these wonderful voices improve with the simplest of techniques and seeing people find confidence in themselves was beautiful. The support and encouragement offered to and by everyone at this camp was overwhelming. I watched and listened as we became a choir that improved every day, and am proud to have been a part of it.

20140807_114152 20140808_155628 20140807_114152 20140807_122424 10411207_10204099888878550_2893073880416470805_n

Final Thoughts