Video

Julie Fleming: Claiming Her Knowledge

This week, Julie Fleming, one of our Prior Learning Assessment students, turned in her final PLA Portfolio: 17 credits for college-level learning that she had gained through her experiences owning a dance school and teaching dance.

Congratulations, Julie!

Julie’s major is Interdisciplinary Studies with concentrations in Business, Communications, and Dance. The 17 credits fulfill her requirements for her Dance concentration entirely. Courses she earned credit for through the PLA process include Dance Education Theory, Methods of Teaching Children’s Dance, Dance Composition I, Music for Dance, Costume Design and Construction for Dance, and Dance Production.

In her Reflection Essay, Julie wrote, “The PLA process is much like a second journey down a familiar path, examining my past through an academic lens.” I asked Julie to share a few thoughts about the PLA process, its benefits, as well as some of her essay writing strategies. I think after you watch this video, you’ll agree with me that its theme is about claiming your knowledge and framing it academically, a benefit that for Julie has gone far beyond earning the credits.